Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Prune those gardens!

I have a rose bush in my garden, named and propagated for Pope John Paul II.  I call it the Popa Rosa.  It is one of my most prized possession's.  It's bloom is bold, creamy, white and smells divine.  It makes me happy to see it proudly displayed in my humble, little garden.  

Last year, despite my fussing and spraying, the Popa was plagued by one problem after another.  Although by fall's end, it stood a towering six feet tall, black spot had ravaged it of it's leaves, and to say the least the Popa was not looking so rosy. 

So, reluctantly in late January, I cut him back.  As I was trimming off the diseased branches, it did occur to me that perhaps, I might be cutting back just a bit too aggressively.  But no matter...I had to take some drastic measures.  The Popa was not going to be well again this year, without intervention.  

You know in horticulture, cutting back an ailing plant will cause renewed growth and vigor.  So, I cut back the Popa and waited.  Today, just weeks after it's shearing, it is growing back with gusto!  Even the thickest, woodiest branch, although reluctant, finally put off new shoots, and I am happy to say, soon I will be smelling it's divine bloom again.  

On the other side of the fence, are three rose "trees" that are equally growing like crazy.  First glance would make you think that they are healthy, happy and strong.  Yet, I noticed aphids and white flies on them yesterday.  They too, just like the Popa are needing some TLC and some pruning, so they too, can thrive through the summer.  If I leave them, the beasts that are using them as a food source, will destroy their blooms and leave them ailing.  

Life is mirrored in the garden.  Just like our plants, our life can sometimes look so grand to the casual observer.  Unless skilled to see the subtle signs of disease, no one may notice that your life is growing out of control, yet diseased and unhappy. 

At first glance,  the sudden shoot of a of a rose bush, may appear impressive.  Grand lifestyles can be just the same, outwardly impressive, but in need of pruning, to bring the whole into balance. 

It makes me wonder this symbolism of the garden.  Did God see our garden we have all grown here and in his wisdom, knew we were all in need of pruning, some needing more pruning than others.  Just like the woody, oldest branches of a rose, people, no matter how set in their woody old ways, are always capable of new growth.  

There was an article today on Yahoo News about how frugal penny pincher's are taking their miserly behaviors to extremes in this recession.  It detailed different scenarios from some clipping coupons, to actually saving uneaten scraps of bagels to use later as bases for pizzas. One woman actually went from stockpiling a quarter of her pay to half of her pay, admittedly out of fear.  Anything we do out of fear, will only feed more fear.  The things we do that feed simplicity, truth, and health will in turn, bring more stress free living, growth and health.  

Just like that beautiful rose bush that was trimmed back to just ugly sticks a month ago, it now is covered in vibrant growth, and ready to take on an new year of blooming.  So shall we all!


2 comments: