Thursday, October 15, 2009

What do you see?

An acquaintance came by my house today with his little girl.  She looked to be about first grade age. I was outside doing some chores when they drove up.  When his little girl got out of the car, she started waving her hands in front of her and asked me..."How did you get so lucky?"  

I paused in my chore, and asked her, "Lucky with what?"  

Still waving her arms about her like she was conjuring a storm, she said, "All that, back there!" 

I followed her gestures, and realized she was talking about my backyard.   Some people call me witty.  Some people call me cheeky.  It really depends on the moment.  I chuckled and replied,

"Well, I work!  Sometimes - I even work hard.  Most of all "that" came from hard work.  Sweat.  Frustration and a few broken dreams."  

She didn't really hear the broken dreams part, because her dad was already ushering her into the house, and rolling his eyes. 

I admit, I laid it on a bit thick.  A heavy handed tongue is sometimes my forte - depending on the moment.  As she went inside with her dad, to conduct whatever business they came over to attend to, I looked at my backyard with a fresh set of eyes.  

Instead of a fence in need of repair, I saw beyond into my "ranchetta" sized yard, where a little girl might want to play in the open space.  I imagined she would like to set up house in our studio, instead of thinking about how it needed repainting.  A thought, which then reminded me, I forgot to order a new pool cleaner.  I was still cringing at the thought of having to manually  scoop  dead worms out of the bottom of the pool, when she and her dad returned outside. 

Upon seeing me, she blew out a breath and exclaimed..."You even have a POOL!" 

Leaving my cheekiness to myself, I began putting my tools away, and just smiled as I said, "Yes, honey, we do." 

See, we never know how other people view our life.  Maybe our own view is so obscured, perhaps the first thing that needs to be cleared away is our attitude about our own world.  One day I will get to the painting, repairing and worm removal.  Today I will just be happy those chores are there waiting for me.  They are mine after all.  I am grateful.  As for the worms, I might just have to leave them.  Maybe.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment